Before jumping into law school, here are a few things that you need to know:
- Plenty of readings. Law students can often be found inside the library and for good reason. They are swamped with books and articles that they need to read daily to prepare them for life outside law school. They need to know the ins and outs of law and understand how they can apply these theories to their future clients.
- Things will eventually make sense. All of the theories will be difficult to process during your first few years in law school but trust as you move up the academic ranks, you’ll be able to process everything. All those alien terms will make perfect sense in no time, you just need to trust the process.
- You do not need to join the rat race. Sure, being part of a prestigious law firm is definitely a plus, but you should pressure yourself. Take it one step at a time. Send out applications, give your best during interviews, and before you know it you’ll be landing that dream job.
- Always give your best. Be it a surprise recitation, a long exam, a written essay, you should always give your 100%.
- Think twice before giving legal advice. When your friends find out you’re in law school they will immediately ask for your legal advice. It’s flattering at first but at some point you will have to think twice before telling them what to do. One, because you’re not yet in the position to give legal advice and two, they will get used to just getting legal advice for free.
All things considered, law school is actually fun! It’s challenging, but definitely worth the long and crazy ride.